December 7, 2009

trying a new shape


I would like to ask you to give your honest opinion about this.

I've been looking at belt pleated trousers in high fashion magazines for a while now, and the idea slowly warmed to me. So I decided to try and make a pair for myself. As usual, I drafted my own pattern (some of the belt pleated trousers I liked in magazines had lower waistbands, but I kind of liked the high waist in the muslin). I'm reasonably satisfied with it, if I wanted to make this again my only change would be to make the pocket entry a little deeper than it is now.
For fabric, I used the same thin wool as for the flared trousers.


What I'm not so sure about, is the look. It doesn't help that it seems like it just doesn't go with just about anything in my wardrobe (proportion-wise, that is) but that isn't even the whole point. I've been trying it on while I was working on it and afterwards and my own reaction varied from: "Wow, this is cool" to "this is just weird".
My boyfriend, who is usually quite helpful at a point like this because he is utterly unbiased by any knowledge of the latest fashion, only had to offer one very helpful (not) comment: "it's 80's". Now, normally, that makes something just wrong in my book. I did the 80's first time around. In this case, I'm not so sure. I was a child in the 80's so although I did wear leggings by the end of the decade (meaning that I 'did' that 80's staple first time around), I'm pretty sure I didn't have trousers like these at any point. And even if I did, would it really matter? What comes around, goes around, and in fashion, the weels only seem to turn faster and faster...

I hope you can see my point. I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts on this and I should really give these the wear-out-of-the-house test this week.

9 comments:

  1. Hoi,
    I won't say whether I like them or not because a personal opinion isn't going to be very helpful to you. So instead, what do you like about these pants...and what do you dislike about them? When you say they look 80's does that make them seem dated to you? If you're wearing a style that suits your body shape and fits your overall "look", then who cares what decade it came from? :)
    I know almost nothing about fashion but I love that you're willing to try something new and see if it works for you. Oh, and thanks for the sewing inspiration! I enjoy seeing your creations every week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 80's have made a comeback in fashion, so these fit right in... only the copycat styles from the 80's seem to be a lot more attractive this time around. :)

    I like these pants. I would never be able to wear them myself because they wouldn't flatter my figure like they do yours, but you appear to be tall and trim and I think you pull off the look of this fashion very well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind the look on you. I wouldn't or rather couldn't wear that style at all but if you like it, if it fits with the look you're trying to create then go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I concur the previous comments. You have the figure to pull off the look. Also, it looks pretty consistent with your style. I think you can get away with it, as long as you feel confident. Your boyfriend's comment seems to be rather neutral, perhaps he was thinking it's 80's which is not the best fashion decade, but your twist makes it look better?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't thinking 80s until you mentioned it ;-) I agree with previous comments that they're very well suited to your shape. They also look super comfortable. I'm new to your blog, and have really been enjoying reading about your designs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is nothing for this curvy lady but if I had your body shape I'd wear this in a heartbeat. Go ahead and sport it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your comments, ladies! Of course, I realise this style does, in fact, work with my body shape (that's a major reason to make muslins: to avoid disappointment about that) and although belt pleats were big in the 80's, this might not be a particularly 80's version (first, I just thought 'a bit retro', it was E who pinned it as '80's') for as far as that matters. Thanks to your comments, I'm starting to go back to my initial 'this is cool' reaction...

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are cool! And isn't all fashion really a reworked version of old trends, in new combinations and slightly different shapes? Almost all anyway.
    I'm so impressed you made them... I went to an outlet-sale and got me a pair to see if I liked wearing them, and I do, there's nothing more comfortable and I feel a bit like a quirky clown when I wear them (I do now).
    I think they can be made more dressy/elegant too with shorter legs (mid calf), that are really narrow at the bottom, and worn with heels... if I ever find the time I'd like to make myself a pair of light beige/khaki ones for summer... (saw them in a movie and fell in love).
    I think pleated pants have come to stay for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the narrow, higher waisted pants on you better than the flared ones, actually. You have a long figure and the pleated, more slender pants accentuate your length (this, by the way, from a petite girl who has always wanted to be taller and longer everywhere, especially in the legs!)

    ReplyDelete