November 4, 2013

Inspiration for wool crepe - 1930's

Warning! This is going to be a picture-heavy post.
All the pictures are from the 1930's and they all come from the magazine La Femme Elegante. If you look closely, you may notice the changing silhouette over the decade. 
I'm going to group the pictures by look category.

First, there were several dresses which tied in with my idea of a cowl neck and raglan sleeves:






Most have gathers or pleats at those raglan seams and there are no collars in sight.

Secondly, there are plenty of imaginative jabots and other drapey collars:







I'm not one for big bows or ruching but I do like these big drapes controlled by buttons.

And then, of course there are many other great designs with draped and/or gathered details:









So many pretty things, but a silhouette that's new to me...

3 comments:

  1. The more I see of 1930s fashion, the more I love it! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think wool crepe is a great idea....I'd have to fully line it I was wearing if though I find it's a tad scratchy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love 1930s fashion. I'm trying to make a prom dress inspired by a 1930s/40s pattern. Thanks for the beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete