October 25, 2015

Basics

Thank you for your replies to my previous post! 
And there were some questions earlier about the corset and lingerie. About the free corset pattern: I downloaded mine using this link, from Emerald Erin's blog
which works and doesn't require connecting through Facebook. And about supplies for corsets and lingerie: I live in the Netherlands, so if you are somewhere on another continent, the shops I go to won't be very useful to you. In fact, the same materials may even go by different names where you are. As far as I know, powernet is always sold under that name or as powermesh but non-stretch lingerie materials are always a bit of a mystery. Dutch shops tend to call the light-weight variety you use to line bra cups "tule" but I don't think anyone else does... 
If you are trying to sew an item like a lingerie corset/merry widow or some other piece of shapewear, I would recommend finding a specialized (web)shop and explaining what you need. They should be able to help you make a selection from what they sell.

This week, I have just been making some simple things. The sort of basic tops you always end up needing. At least, I always do somehow. 
I didn't make any changes to my pattern yet. I'm considering moving the shoulder seam a bit towards the front next time I use my knit sloper but I'm not sure yet. I made that change on A's sloper (the climbing friend I'm trying to make some tops for) only to find out that a couple of weeks more of training had shifted the balance of the muscles at her shoulders again... 
The shoulder seams on my t-shirts always pulled towards the back a little, so I'm not even sure it is worse now. I think I'll just wear these for a while and then decide, based on that experience.

Anyway, this white and green knit is a bit thin and transparent but nice (and not made from polyester because there is no static cling!). Because I would always have to wear something under it anyway, I gave it a nice, deep, draped neckline. It is not a cowl neck, just a deep scoop with a drape piece sewn on to it (I'll make a little pattern how-to tomorrow). 

The other top is even simpler. Just a long sleeved t-shirt. I've been holding on to this striped fabric for two years now. It's lovely and soft and it cost a little more than I usually pay for jersey. For most of the time, I was saving it for some special project even though it was obviously perfect for a basic top like this. So, that's what I did with half of the fabric after all.

The top may look very simple but it took me more time to make than the green one. All because of the material. I tried to cut the pieces carefully, so I could match the stripes but the fabric is very soft and shifty. It is also made of two layers: The transparent, striped outer layer and a black inner layer. Both are very soft and thin and they are tacked together at about 3 cm intervals. Where the fabric is cut, the layers start to peel apart. 
I managed to sew it up, matching the stripes at the side seams and along the sleeves, only to find out that the fit was too loose and baggy (that's what you get when using such a soft, slinky fabric). I took it in but the stripe matching is less good now. 
I kept the sleeves on both tops a bit long. It felt nice and bigger arm- and shoulder muscles make sleeve pull up so it may work as a long-term plan (or not, because their fit is still pretty slim).

And I made something even more basic: A loop-scarf.
This red jersey is made from nice cotton, knitted in the round. Cotton and nothing else. As a result, it has no recovery whatsoever. I made a top from it once. After one day of wearing, I had to take in about 5 cm at each seam. And it still kept "growing" and didn't keep its shape. And washing didn't restore it either. I still had a meter and a half of the stuff and when I was picking out fabric for the tops, I found it and realized it would work as a scarf. That way, I don't have to worry about fit no matter how much it stretches out. 

So, that's what I did. I also have some off-white and some black jersey in my stash which have the same annoying qualities (all of it was very cheap. On sale for only 1 euro a meter...). I may just give those fabrics the same treatment.
  

3 comments:

  1. We have several remnant knit jersey scarves in this house, used by both the men and the woman. They are from seriously terrifying prints in horrid color combinations, and somehow they work with any ensemble. They smoosh into collars, they stretch over faces when the air gets chewy, they shove into pockets and hide there for the summer.
    Today I am using one for icepacks on the rotator cuff. Go be excellent for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your black striped tee. I made a tee from a fabric like you describe, I think it's meant to be reversible, but I haven't quite figured out a practical application for reversible knit jersey.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pop of color that the scarf adds. I love making scarves or cowls from knit remnants, they are so effective and, not to mention, easy to make!
    I noticed the interesting line of the skirt, did you make that, as well?
    Olga

    ReplyDelete