December 31, 2015

The end of 2015

While I am writing this, I can hear fireworks outside. 2015 really is almost over. For some of you in other parts of the world, it already is. In that case: Happy New Year! 
I am taking this last opportunity to round up my past year-in-sewing. I've never really been into writing posts like that, but I think there have been some real changes this year and some goals I achieved. So, for once, it feels right.

First of all, I took part in the Vintage Sewing Pattern Pledge for the second time. In 2014, I made most of my garments in the last months of the year but this time, I was a lot quicker. In fact, I met my target and then some but late summer. 
It was never really about the target though. For me, it is all about exploring styles and looks from the past. 

I struggled fairly extensively with 1930's patterns (here and here) and, in the end, achieved something I might claim as a success. Although I didn't wear it again after the photoshoot, I am not sure...

I also tried a pre-New Look 1940's pattern for the first time, using a reproduction pattern from EvaDress, which worked much better than I had expected.

And I finally had a go at the quintessential 1960's look (here and here), which actually comes from the second half of the decade. I loved that so much more than I had ever thought I would. I have worn both dresses a lot over the summer and I really should make more. 

Although I didn't get back to sewing from my vintage patterns after my summer vacation, I really enjoyed it and I am planning to take part in the 2016 Vintage Sewing Pattern Pledge (as soon as it is officially announced).

2015 was also the year I finally got to make a dress I have been thinking about for a while. The wedding of our friends V and A gave me the perfect opportunity to make a heavily constructed party dress. In it, I used all kinds of tricks learned in sewing, pattern making, lingerie and corsetry. It was a great thing to work on, I loved the result and I got lots of compliments. 

And, last but not least, 2015 was the year not-so-sporty me really got into climbing. I can no longer claim I am not sporty. I got quite a bit better at climbing and started bouldering. 

I started to make my own sports clothes because now, there was a need. I think it won't surprise you to know the me-made options became favorites straight away.
The climbing has more impact on my sewing though: I lost fat in places I didn't know I had any and gained muscles in other places. I can still wear almost all of my clothes but I can feel and see my look shifting. So, at the end of the year, I am less certain about where I will go style-wise than I have been in years. I don't think it is a bad thing but it will take some time to figure out. 

All in all, 2015 was a pretty interesting sewing year and 2016 is promising even more developments...

3 comments:

  1. Hi Aicha! I love your makes and I am so so impressed by the party dress that you made to wear to your friend's wedding. I've set myself the challenge of wearing 'me-made' to some weddings this year and can only hope that I'll be able to make something half as brilliant!

    Happy new year x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!

    I have to admit, I love your style. It's much more different than the usual sewing blogs. Love your fabric choices and that you dare to experiment with vintage dresses.

    I'm not good at dressmaking, my main focus is on lingerie.

    That party dress is awesome, and I love the orange-colored dress, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your style, and will be interested to see where it goes. Hard to pin something down when you love so much of everything!

    ReplyDelete